Google Meet’s Android and iOS apps provide a streamlined model of the video chat service’s desktop interface. The essential controls are easy and needs to be acquainted to anybody who has used a video or voice chat app on smartphones, however loads of useful options and settings are tucked away in Google Meet’s cell interface. We’re going to dig them up and present you a number of of our favorites:
Adjusting your audio and video earlier than a gathering
While you first open the app, you possibly can tweak some primary audio/video settings earlier than becoming a member of a gathering.
- Faucet the icons on the backside of the display screen to show your mic and digicam on or off.
- Faucet the speaker icon to alter the audio playback location to cellphone, speaker, headphones (if linked), or flip off audio totally. (You may as well change which digicam you wish to use whereas in a gathering by tapping “…” > “Change Digital camera.”)
While you’re prepared to speak, faucet “New Assembly” or “Assembly Code” to create or be part of a gaggle name. The underside display screen additionally shows any ongoing conferences you already joined, and upcoming scheduled conferences.
Enabling noise cancellation
Google lately added a useful noise-cancelling function to filter out ambient sounds that may make it arduous to listen to your chat. Meet’s noise-cancellation function is disabled by default, however fairly straightforward to activate once you want it.
- Faucet the three-line icon within the upper-left.
- Faucet “Settings.”
- Allow “Noise cancellation.”
You may allow/disable noise cancellation earlier than or throughout a gathering. Google warns that the filter could intervene with music and different supplemental audio, so you should definitely flip it off in the event you plan to, say, play an instrument throughout your name.
Turning on computerized closed captioning
Meet can activate Google’s automated closed captioning, which transcribes speech on the fly. This is similar speech-to-text tech discovered on YouTube and choose Android gadgets. It’s not utterly correct, but it surely’s nonetheless useful in instances the place you possibly can’t hear others on the decision or can’t have your quantity turned up.
To activate closed captioning throughout a gathering:
- Faucet the “CC” icon within the upper-right of your video display screen.
- Or faucet “…” then “Activate Captions.”
Enabling display screen sharing
Because the identify implies, Display screen Share allows you to share your gadget’s display screen with everybody else within the assembly. Your display screen reveals up as an extra video feed within the name, so your face and audio are nonetheless seen whereas exhibiting off an app, presentation, or different content material.
- Throughout a name, faucet “…” then choose “Current Display screen.” You may as well faucet “Current” from the primary app window to rejoin an ongoing assembly and share your display screen.
- Subsequent, Meet will ask to be sure you wish to share your display screen (to keep away from unintentional shares). Faucet “Proceed.”
- Your display screen share video will begin muted, and the video turned off, simply in case you’re not prepared or by some means made it this far into the method unintentionally. Faucet the mic and digicam icons to allow each.
- Everybody else will now see and listen to your display screen.
Blurring your background
Google Meet’s background blur filter might help preserve the give attention to you and off your environment, which is useful for privateness and productiveness. Background blurring is just obtainable on Meet’s desktop app, however is “coming quickly” for Android and iOS. As soon as it’s added for cell, you’ll seemingly be capable of flip it on the identical method you do on desktop.
Supply from lifehacker.com